Please note there is a large amount of very helpful information on this site and we strongly urge you to visit all the pages, including details of forthcoming events and member countries, which has links to national federation web sites.
The International Group for Equestrian Qualifications (IGEQ) is an independent voluntary organisation of national equestrian federations (NFs) worldwide (currently 35), which has compared and harmonised equestrian instructor qualifications, producing an agreed matrix of minimum requirements at 3 international levels for 6 disciplines. An Equestrian Passport is available for instructors of riding, driving, vaulting, western, tourism and therapeutic, holding eligible certification, (click here for information). The passport confirms and recognises the holders' qualifications, enabling recognition and acceptance in IGEQ member countries (subject to national legal requirements)..Note in some countries qualifications and licences are issued by a Ministry of Sport not the national federation. Any passport holder intending or planning to move to another country is strongly advised to contact the Federation in their chosen new country to check whether they will be eligible for a licence to teach BEFORE they make firm arrangements or move
"To develop, promote & maintain equestrian qualifications"
The aims of IGEQ are:
- Increase membership to promote professional training and education of equestrian instructors
- All equestrian instructors to be educated to the minimum standards of the IGEQ matrix to gain a recognised professional qualification and IGEQ passport
- All NFs to offer instructors the opportunity to gain a qualification harmonised and recognised by IGEQ
- Offer instructor and examiner training clinics
- Keep abreast of developments which affect instructors
- Encourage continuing professional development of instructors and examiners
- Protect the interests of professional instructors
- Cooperate positively with other equestrian organisations eg the FEI (Federation Equestre Internationale), EEF (European Equestrian Federation), EEN (European Equine Network), FRDI (Federation of Riding for Disabled International), FITE (Federation Internationale Tourism Equestre) to promote equestrian qualifications
- All NFs to offer IGEQ passport
To achieve these aims IGEQ offers:
- The opportunity to access a wealth of knowledge, expertise, advice and practical help
- Encourage NFs to join and promote membership
- Promote the IGEQ Passport for instructors
- Encourage, help, support and assist NFs wishing to introduce / develop examination / qualification systems, based on IGEQ matrix
- Assist NFs to harmonise their qualifications with IGEQ matrix to be eligible for IGEQ passport
- Provide the means for NFs to access help and guidance from established / experienced NFs
- Identify and share best practice
- Opportunity to visit established national centres and observe their facilities / organisation
- Access to education & exams for those with no access to a qualification system
- Quality Assurance observation of exams by invitation from member NFs to maintain standards and offer help / advice if requested.
- Corporate items (ties/scarves/badges) available for passport holders
Better Teaching = Better Riding = Better Horse Care = Happy Horses!
IGEQ is delighted to confirm that a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between IGEQ and the Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI). In keeping with international trends, where more and more measures are being introduced world-wide to formalise equestrian education, this Agreement has as its objective cooperation between the two organisations for the betterment of education in the sport of horse riding. The FEI offers a Coach Education programme through its Olympic Solidarity programme designed for developing countries.
IGEQ membership comprises National Equestrian Federations that offer national equestrian professional instructor qualifications, or have an interest in offering such qualifications. IGEQ member federations are also member federations of the FEI.
To send email click here: Contact Us