The candidate will be examined in practical tasks and in oral discussion.
They must be able to demonstrate and discuss:
- Correct fit and appropriate tack for competition work.
- Correct application of boots and bandages for competition work.
- Loading a horse for traveling.
- Lunge a horse for exercise.
- Assessing the action and soundness of a horse.
- Assessing the condition of the horse’s feet and shoes.
- Horse health and management of the sick horse.
- Fitness and maintaining condition.
- Understanding of the principles of nutrition in respect of feeding different types of horses. (old, young, ill, fit)
- Basic physiology including the horse’s respiration and circulation.
- Basic care and management of pasture.
- Basic knowledge of stable design.